Friday, January 22, 2010

Makes sense to me

This post has little to do with end of life, but much to do with blogging.

One of the sources I'm drawing on in developing my paper, tentatively titled "Bloggers Blogging Blogs: An examination of what it is, what it means, and why I think it's pretty freaking cool," is Scott Rosenberg's most excellent book, Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters

(Yes, I've added this link as a new Amazon Associate. Buy the book, and baby gets a new pair of shoes.)

Rosenberg's work is both rigorous and readable, just like the best blogs. Here's a small piece (pp 87-88) I want to share:
(Jesse James) Garrett describes the transition as one from a static to a dynamic form. "At first, if you were doing any kind of personal website, I think people approached it as a hobby like woodworking: you were going to craft this beautiful little object...When you crossed the threshold to (blogs), that represents our realization that this is a dynamic medium. It's not about pushing an object into the world, it's about opening a channel between yourself and the world."
On second thought, maybe there is something about end of life in there.